Friday, March 27, 2020

Cloister




Distance



During these strange and often-terrifying plague days, we lucky ones (the housed), have become abbots and abbesses of our own private cloisters. There are probably as many "Rules of Life" as there are people holed up.

Part of my own Rule is to go out and walk the local neighborhood, just to get some air and natural light and to put my head in another space beyond the low hum of menace we all live with.  The best advice being given to people is to act as if everyone is infected, so I go out when there's fewer 'others' around.... I cross the street if someone is walking towards me and keep an ear peeled for the infected coming up from behind. Honestly - walking outside has a definite flavor of a zombie movie..

As unsettling as this is for me who can retreat back into the cloister - I cannot imagine what a black nightmare the unhoused are living through now.





~



No comments:

Post a Comment