Saturday, September 8, 2018

High Holy Days



Cairn


The (blessed) end of summer brings inexorably cooler weather and the high holy days for The Cathedral of the Great Wide World. Shorter days, longer nights, wilder weather. The landscape swept clean of the casual, leaving only the hardy, the steadfast.

Steadfast is hardly a word I could apply to my acquaintanceship with most traditional faith communities.  Over the few decades I've been alive, I've stayed with some for a few years, some for a few months, some for a day.

The one community that has always been "it" for me is The Cathedral of the Great Wide World. Even as a small boy walking alone for miles and miles in the woods in all sorts of weather, I recognized it as a refuge. The silence. The solitude. The anonymity. The return to creatureliness.

All those gifts freely given with presence the only offering required in return..




~



No comments:

Post a Comment